Have you ever looked at a picture and found yourself unable to understand what was going on in it?
Some pictures, when taken at the right time and place, can capture the unexplainable.
Here are 40 pictures that need to be explained but can they be ? Try these.
1. This eerie photo shows a woman posing for the camera with an almost barely distinguishable man looming behind her. According to the woman in the photograph’s family, the picture was taken sometime in the 1990s. The woman had just moved into a nursing home and her family helped her move all of her belongings into the residence. Before saying their goodbyes, the family decided to document the moment and take a picture of her before departing. However, the family claims that there was no one else around at the time that they snapped the picture. When the photo was developed, the family was understandably spooked when the noticed the man in the background. The family was not able to explain how this man, washed out and not in focus, ended up in the unmanipulated film photograph. It wasn’t until the photograph was shown to the woman in it that offered some sort of explanation. The woman claims that this mysterious man standing behind her was her deceased husband, who had passed away 13 years earlier.
2. This photo was taken during a fire. The photographer who took this picture later developed the film and saw a girl peering at him from the mouth of the flames. What makes the picture particularly creepy is that the girl does not look panicked or like she’s affected by the flames.
3. Many people label this photo as a hoax, but it is still interesting. In this family photo, a figure can be seen hanging upside down from the roof. Some people have claimed that the person hanging from the ceiling is a spirit of the previous owner of the house.
4. In 1907, a group of 9 fishermen claimed to have caught a Cadborosaurus, a mythical sea serpent believed to inhabit the Pacific Coast of North America. The Cadborosaurus, also called Caddy, has supposedly been spotted in Alaska and even Southern California. Scientists have not been able to determine what type of creature is pictured in this photo.
5. This is a picture of the “Solway Firth Spaceman.” Taken in 1964, this photo shows a man, seemingly wearing a spacesuit, standing directly behind a little girl. Jim Templeton, a photographer and local historian, took this photo of his daughter and claims that no one was there with them that day.
6. The Falcon Lake Incident occurred on May 20, 1967. Stefan Michalak was on vacation in Whiteshell Provincial Park when he noticed two objects that were shaped like cigars coming towards him. Michalak said he heard voices coming from inside the objects. He also claimed to have received burns from the objects when he attempted to touch them.
7. This photo was taken in the early 1940’s, but one man in particular seems to stand out. The man in question is the tall figure wearing sunglasses, a t-shirt and a knitted sweater. People claim that this photo is proof of time travel because of how “out-of-time” the young man seems to be.
8. This photo is peculiar because it is a photo of a woman walking by with her hand to her ear, almost as if she is talking on a cell phone. However, this would be impossible as the photo was taken back in 1928 at a film opening for Charlie Chaplin.
9. In another case of technology appearing out of the appropriate era, this woman looks like she’s holding a cellphone up to her ear while joyfully chatting away. The photo was taken back in 1938 when this technology did not exist. However, it certainly appears that she’s holding something indistinguishable.
10. In this photo, a Chinese archaeologist holds up a watch which has the time 10:06 frozen on it. The archaeologists had opened a tomb that was sealed for over 400 years. Sources say that the word “Swiss” was engraved on the back of the watch. Conspiracy theorists believe it may have been the work of a time traveler.
11. In 1959, a woman was visiting her mother’s grave with her husband. She snapped a photo of her husband sitting in the car. Later, when they developed the picture, a strange figure was seen sitting in the back seat. Supposedly, the woman claimed that the mysterious figure was her dead mother.
12. This photo shows a group of World War I soldiers taking a picture together. One man that appears in the photo, named Freddy Jackson, does not belong there. He had died only days earlier, and soldiers claimed that it was his ghost in the picture. In fact, Freddy’s funeral took place the very morning this photo was taken.
13. This photo of a woman on the day of the JFK assassination in 1963 has raised suspicions for years. The lady, called the Babushka Lady, is seen pictured in several photos and was even recorded on film and seen in many photographs taken on the day of the assassination. Investigators were never able to find her identity.
14. Norway’s Hessdalen Valley is infamous for its unexplained bright nocturnal lights, which appear in photos taken at the location. Scientists have studied the phenomenon for years, but are still unable to find the reason for why the 7.5-mile-long lights appear in the Hessdalen Valley in rural central Norway.
15. This photo was taken in 1964 by a couple who spotted an odd creature swimming in a lagoon. The strange creature looked like a gigantic tadpole and was estimated to be roughly 80 feet long. However, the creature remains a large unknown marine animal that no one has been able to determine.
16. This photo, which was taken back in 1924, supposedly shows the faces of two sailors who were killed and buried at sea. The faces pictured in the waves are said to be the faces of the men who died. While this could be chance lighting, there’s no denying that the two faces are spookily distinguishable.
17. In 1960, a dark and mysterious object was discovered floating in the earth’s orbit. Scientists could not decipher what the mysterious object was. Since then, several other similar objects have appeared in our orbit before vanishing altogether. This “Artificial Satellite” has become known as the “Black Knight” and has garnered interest worldwide.
18. This photo was taken by Apollo 17 on its flight to the moon. The picture was initially too light due to exposure, but when the lighting in the picture was adjusted, a pyramid-like structure could be seen faintly in the background. NASA suggest it’s a “blank” photo, but others believe it’s a structure that has been caught on film.
19. This photo of a man standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon was taken between the 1970’s and 1980’s. Behind him lurks an eerie figure, staring directly at the camera. The man and his friends claim that they had been in that spot for over fifteen minutes, and had never noticed the man there.
20. In this photo, a group of friends take a picture while on a hike. After looking through the pictures, the hikers noticed a strange, dark shadow hovering in the background. The hikers claim that there was no one else around that day, and the identity of the figure still remains unknown to this day.
21. In this photo, a man holding a knife-like object creeps behind a door. The family that was staying at the cabin says that, at the time the picture was taken, only two people were in the cabin. They never found out if it was an optical illusion, or if it really was a crazed man with a knife.
22. In 1963, a reverend took a picture of an altar at a church in North Yorkshire, England. Upon developing the picture, he noticed a strange, demonic figure lurking on the altar. The reverend was sure that the figure was a Franciscan monk with a demonic face, although this has never been confirmed.
23. In 1976, a police officer was investigating the Amityville home in New York where a murder had occurred. Upon taking photos at the crime scene, the officers did not see anything suspicious. When the photos were developed, one of the pictures showed a little boy standing in a doorway with white eyes.
24. On March 13, 1997, the Phoenix lights were sighted in the skies in Arizona, Nevada and some parts of Mexico. The formation of the lights was extremely mysterious, and many believe that it was a UFO sighting. Those who saw the lights say UFO produced no sound and contained five spherical lights.
25. In 2000, a woman mailed photographs of an ape to her county sheriff’s office. She said that the ape had taken apples from the porch in her backyard. However, the photo doesn’t resemble any recognizable species of ape. Big Foot theorists have renamed this strange creature, calling it the Skunk Ape.
26. During the American Civil War in 1864, a group of American soldiers claimed that they had shot and captured an unnamed creature. The picture, which appears unmanipulated, shows the men standing proudly over their kill. Confusingly, this creature resembles a pterodactyl, a flying reptile that would have been well extinct by this time.
27. At first glance, this looks like a regular photo of 4 boys having fun. Upon closer inspection, you can see an extra thumb behind the head of one of the boys. The thumb does not align with any of the other boys. The person who posted the photo online cannot explain where the thumb came from.
28. The death of 21 year old Elisa Lam is certainly a scary mystery. There is video footage on the day of her death showing her gesturing to invisible objects and acting in a very manic and frantic manner. She died in a water tank on the roof of the Cecil hotel and was found 3 weeks later. Her death was ruled as ‘accidental.’
29. The gruesome murder of the six people of the Hinterkaifeck farm is still unresolved to this day. Four bodies were found mutilated in the barn while 2 more were located in the house. The former maid fled accusing the home of being haunted and the new maid arrived just hours before the brutal murder. The killer was reported to have stayed at the house for 2 weeks after the killing.
30. This painting is called The Madonna with Saint Giovannino is from the 15th century. However over Mary’s right shoulder you can see an object that is eerily similar to an UFO spaceship. Could this be a futuristic painter looking forward in time? Or had aliens already visited humankind by then?
31. The Naga lights are a natural phenomenon over the Mekong River in Vietnam. Red hot lights that resemble fireballs shoot up into the sky and then disappear. These lights can go up to hundreds of feet and can sometimes be seen hundreds of times in one night!
32. There has never been any substantial proof for the existence of giants or super-sized beings. But this one comes close, in 1985 a man found a mummified finger that measured a ridiculous 15 inches long. This would mean that the owner of this finger would have to be over 12 feet tall!
33. This is a photograph of spontaneous human combustion. In 1951, the body of Mary Reeser was found and her whole body was engulfed in flames. The flames were so hot that her skull had shrunk and only her left foot was intact. Creepily enough, everything else in the room was unscathed.
34. No one is quite sure who this woman is or why she is walking on the top of a lighthouse. She has reportedly been seen on numerous occasions and many believe it to be the ghost that haunts the lighthouse.
35. Notorious serial killer Dean Corll, known as the Candy Man, was responsible for the deaths, rape and torture of more than 28 young boys. Disturbingly, 40 years after the initial crimes, a photo surfaced from one of Corll’s accomplices that depicted a handcuffed boy who wasn’t identified as one of the original victims.
36. This 1975 picture is from a couple in the United Kingdom who decided to go to church one day. When Peter decided to take a picture of his wife there was a figure sitting behind Diane! When they asked the church, they replied that it was the White lady who is the ghost of a healer that is believed to haunt the church.
37. Edna Cintron, allegedly, is the woman identified in the gaping hole of the World Trade Center. She somehow survived the initial impact and investigators say the gaping hole would be sucking in so much air that it would be cold and stable enough for a survivor to stand on. No one is exactly sure who this woman was.
38. In 1959, nine Soviet mountaineers died a mysterious death. Reports show that the hikers fled from their tent barefoot in an attempt to flee from something. Six of them died of hypothermia, 2 from chest fractures and one from serious head injuries (he was also missing his tongue.) No one is sure of the cause of death and their clothing suddenly became highly radioactive.
39. The apparition over the Church of St. Mary is known as one of the most famous religious apparitions of all time. Our Lady of Zeitoun has been seen on countless occasions over a two year period in 1968. The glowing Virgin Mary was originally mistaken as a woman about to commit suicide but later investigations revealed nothing.
40. This photo was published in the Los Angeles Times in 1942. Ufologists and conspiracy theorists believe the photo is evidence of an extraterrestrial visitation. Many believe that the photograph shows searchlights that are focusing on an alien spacecraft and that other explanations have only been created to hide the truth.